The Internet is an excellent resource for broadcast engineers. Because there is so much information out there, instead of duplicating others' efforts, I've listed some of the best lists of broadcast related links I've found along with a few personal favorites.
The best link lists for broadcast related material on the 'Net
- Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE)
- A great list of broadcast engineering related links including many manufacturers' home pages.
- Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)
- This list is well organized and includes many international links. It's especially good for standards related sites.
- Advanced Television Standards Committee
- A list links to member companies. Because the list includes companies not yet on the 'Net, if it is updated regularly it might be a good place to check to see if an ATV related company or organization you are interested in is on has a Web presence,
Broadcast Engineering Organizations on the Internet (Home Pages)
U.S. Federal Communications Commission
The FCC's Web site can be slow and frustrating to navigate. I've provided direct links to many areas of interest to broadcast engineers on the RF Page FCC Navigator.
Other sites with FCC Links:
Broadcast RF & remote control manufacturers and service suppliers on the 'Net
- Acrodyne A top notch web site -- fast graphics, technical information, on-line help. find out what a Diacrode is...
- A/D Technologies, Inc. Repeater controllers and airborne antenna pattern surveys
- Andrew Corporation Product news and data, sales offices and press releases.
- Broadcast Electronics, Inc. Radio transmitters. Fancy home page with music and animation.
- California Microwave - Fixed and portable TV auxiliary gear
- Comark Communications Includes a tech support and factory mod notice page plus information on TV transmitter products
- Dielectric Communications Info on antennas and pressurization system. Technical papers on DTV antennas and implementation.
- EMCEE Home Page A fast site, mostly text (graphics used only where essential), with information on Emcee LPTV, ITFS and MMDS products as well as information on services I never knew they provided!
- Eurotel Srl Info on Tv transmitters and amplifiers in English and Italian. Nicely organized.
- General Instruments Excellent source for information on digital video transmission via cable, satellite and MMDS .
- Hallikainen & Friends Lots of information on transmitter remote control and FCC remote control regulations.
- Harris Corporation Info on TV products, including DTV transmitters. Much of the emphasis is on sales - you won't find any of Harris' excellent DTV technical papers on-line.
- Hewlett Packard Extensive collection of information on HP test gear, even includes lists of parts and prices for calibration of old equipment.
- ADC ITS Corporation - VHF, UHF and MMDS transmitting equipment. Catalog plus informative technical notes, particularly on new digital techniques.
- JT Communications "...products aimed at the low-budget, small market broadcast industry" Mostly radio, but also an interesting software EAS product.
- LBA Group, Inc. A collection of companies focusing on RF technology. Informative Technical Notes.
- Jampro Antennas Inc. Data sheets on many of their TV transmitting antennas.
- Screen Service Italia - System design, TV transmitters from VHF to microwave, remote controls and more.
- Signal Tower Communications, Inc. - Need tower space? Want to rent space on your tower? This is one place to start. Don't miss Antenna Site of the Month.
- Tektronix Lots of information on Tektronix and Grass Valley Group products
- V-Soft Communications Doug Vernier's RF Engineering Software.
Broadcast Equipment and Parts Suppliers on the 'Net
Definitions and Tutorials
Interesting papers and info on the future of broadcasting
TV Station Engineering Departments On the Net
I've found a few TV engineering departments on the 'net. If your department has a page drop me a note -- I'd like to add it!
Other Broadcast Related Publishers
- Television Broadcast Online - from Television Broadcast magazine
- Robert Gonsett's CGC Communicator - Archive of the email newsletter. Emphasizes California / West Coast radio and TV engineering. Excellent source of EAS information.
- Multichannel News - Cable TV and Telecommunications News.
- Ultimate TV The premier site for TV media (cable and broadcast) on the 'Net (formerly TVNet).
- CloseUp with Joe Fedele Info on engineering for managers (and/or managing engineering) in articles from his popular Electronic Media column. Other useful information and links. New features added regularly.
- E/Town News and Reviews on Consumer Electronics
Just for fun!
Every now and then I'll be selecting some sites that I've found interesting or amusing and including them here. I haven't had much time in the last month or so to surf the Web, so I took a look at my Netscape bookmark file to see what might be worth putting up here. I found some links I've used for real time traffic reports in cities around the country. If you know others, please let me know.
Previous "Just for fun" picks":
Return to The RF Page @ www.transmitter.com
Last modified July 6, 1997 by Doug Lung firstname.lastname@example.org One link was modified October 28, 2001. A comprehensive update is pending.
Copyright © 1995, 1996, 1997 H. Douglas Lung