Doug Lung's TV Technology RF Columns 1994
- December 1994 - SBE / SMPTE at World Media Expo 94 in Los
Angeles: Grand Alliance HDTV transmission test results. COFDM
versus 8-VSB -- Which is better? Transmitter topics at SBE. Comark
transmitter at the transmission tests. Harris UHF transmitter
design highlights. Thomson tetrodes provide high peak powers for
- November 1994 - Introduction to RF Path Analysis - What is
K Factor? Internet news groups. FCC Rules on CD-ROM. FCC demands
use of new emission designators. How to contact me. rf-9411.txt
- October 1994 - Answers to questions about my Standard Frequency
Receiver. Comments on my column on power line harmonics. Dielectric's
wide-band "DigitLine". L-band interference and digital
satellite receivers - cures? Acrodyne's new higher power solid
state UHF amplifiers. Shotmaster 100 "hand-held ENG"
transmitter. Transmitter tube life survey - initial request for
info. Parts sources for the standard frequency receiver/calibrator.
- September 1994 - Telemundo's switch to digital video for satellite
distribution. LNB selection for satellite digital signal reception.
Common problems with digital satellite reception. Competition
improves LPTV transmitter options. Information from the Internet
- USENET newsgroups. rf-9409.txt
- August 1994 - Evaluation of the S.A. digital video compression system: Video quality excellent during initial testing but minor gripes about IRD operation and lip sync. Brief tutorial on digital error correction: What is "bit error rate"? How are errors corrected? Real world results - What error rates are acceptable? Common problems encountered during Telemundo's digital tests with tips to avoid problems. rf-9408.txt
- July 1994 - Low cost computer map databases for RF engineers: AutoMap, Street Atlas USA, MapExpert, Precision Mapping software. Plotting station coverage maps - tips and tricks.rf-9407.txt
- June 1994 - Report on two unpublished NAB 94 Engineering sessions: Power line harmonics and an update on a truly digital TV transmitter from Tim Hulick. Tips on curing UHF tube harmonic problems from Walter Pries. rf-9406.txt
- May 1994 - Build a simple standard frequency receiver / calibrator - Part 2. Tips on how to obtain 0.02 PPM accurary with the calibrator using WWV or other standard frequency station.
- April 1994 (NAB) - What happened to HDTV at NAB this year? NAB Technical sessions reveal Grand Alliance system details. Compromises were required in the digital transmission system. "All or nothing" coverage concerns broadcasters. Dr. Oded Bendov showed how HDTV coverage will vary by channel. Transmitter manufacturers are planning for HDTV, Digital video compression systems for satellite transmission debut at the show.
- March 1994 - Build a simple standard frequency receiver / calibrator - Part 1. Table of world-wide standard frequency stations.
rf-9403.txt . Also available - Figure 1 as a GIF Imagerf29-fg1.dxf
- February 1994 - Some notes about mountain top transmitter sites: Those darn plastic packing pellets! Lighting protection for remote control phone lines and some lternatives to phone lines. Other short items: Calculating the proper feed horn position for parabolic dishes. The correct address for obtaining the NADCON coordinate program.rf-9402.txt
- January 1994 - Survey of satellite digital video compression; RF system requirements for digital video transmission; Comparison of analog and digital RF performance; "Cheap Remote" software upgrades;
rf-9401.txt (NOTE: I am no longer distributing software by disk - download the chprmt2.zip complete package.
Return to Doug Lung's Radio Frequency Technology Files
Return to Doug Lung's R. F. Page
Created September 17, 1995, edited February 23, 2014 by Doug Lung firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1995, 2014 H. Douglas Lung