Doug Lung's TV Technology RF Columns 1993
Notice! My FTP site is limited to 20 simultaneous connections. If you
get a message that the server is busy, press or select the RELOAD
button or item on your browser to try again. My experience is
that you shouldn't have to do this more than ten times before
you get connected.
- December 1993 - rf-9312.txt
- SBE 1993 - Miami - Report on FCC & Regulatory sessions: Where is my tower? NAD 27 vs. NAD 83 Coordinates; Spurious aural modulation in common-mode transmitters; How to compare TV transmitter performance before you buy; New dehydrators from Andrew Corporation.
- November 1993 - rf-9311.txt
- SBE 1993 - Miami - Wrapup: Low data rate video compression for news-gathering; PBS Plans for compressed digital video on satellite; Transmitter and antenna manufacturers' HDTV designs; HDTV Advisory Committee plans & progress - no cheap sets; The elusive Westinghouse Silicon Carbide RF transistor.
- October 1993 - rf-9310.txt
- Cheap Remote II (Son of Cheap Remote?); Using the sun to align satellite dish mounts. View a color photo of the remote control -- rf24fg1.gif and the schematic for the unit -- rf24fg2.gif. A copy of the schematic is available in Autocad DXF format -- rf24fg2.dxf. I collected the remote control software and accessory programs into one PKZIP'ed archive -- chprmt2.zip. If you are using Netscape shift-click on an item to save it to disk.
- September 1993 - rf-9309.txt
- Predict whether your signal meets new cable TV requirements -- Calculate signal levels with typical antennas at VHF & UHF; Tips and techniques for improving TV reception; I visit G.I. and report on their Digicipher video compression system.
- July 1993 - rf-9307.txt
- Current progress in digital video compression for satellite; How to get connected to Compuserve for broadcast info (This is old information and may not be valid -- see later columns for updates); Isolating voltages for remote control connections. View the schematic for the AD-202 -- rf22fg1.gif or download the schematic in DXF format -- rf22fg1.dxf (NOTE: There was no RF Column in the August issue)
- June 1993 - rf-9306.txt
- Trends in RF Technology at the 1993 NAB: What's the story with HDTV?, Update on HDTV transmission system proposals, My comments on HDTV system requirements, No klystron transmitters at NAB! plus -- Panel antennas for emergency use; Waveguide switch maintenance.
- April 1993 - rf-9304.txt
- Disaster recovery - lessions from the World Trade Center bombing; Digital video compression update - standards?; Radiation hazards - new IEEE standard C.95.1-1991; Using a TV sideband adapter and mixer as a sweep generator. (NOTE: I might have written a May column, but I can't find it. I'll add it if it turns up.)
- March 1993 - rf-9303.txt
- Measuring microwave frequencies with a transfer oscillator; Setting FM deviation using Bessel functions (easy math!) The table is at the end of the article. View the figure here -- rf18fg1.gif
- February 1993 - rf-9302.txt
- Frequency Measurements: Counter accuracy limitations, Measuring frequencies using a spectrum analyzer, Checking calibration using a standard frequency station. Calculating RF power densities near parabolic antennas; Example showing calculations for an SNG truck RF safety. Satellite digital video compression update. (NOTE: I don't have the rather complex table showing the NTIS available for scanning at this time. I expect to have a copy in the next week or so and I'll add it to this listing at that time.)
- January 1993 - rf-9301.txt
- FCC mandated frequency tolerances and measurements; New emission designators required for FCC form 313 filings; Extending klystron life - filament voltage, tips from Varian; Cheap Remote software notes.
Return to Doug Lung's Radio Frequency Technology FTP Site
Return to Doug Lung's R. F. Page
Created September 17, 1995 by Doug Lung firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1995 H. Douglas Lung